Thursday, February 5, 2009

Nous Aimons Manger Attieke!!

While Cody was on his mission in the Ivory Coast he learned how to cook some of their traditional meals. Some I am not so fond of, like the peanut butter gravy~like substance that you eat with beef. Not my favorite. However, the fried plantains or black eyed peas dishes are always welcome. But I think that Attieke is my absolute favorite. Cody and I tend to crave it.
Attieke (a-chi-kay), is similar in appearance and texture to couscous but is made from cassava root and not flour. Cassava is a root that looks a lot like a sweet potato. To arrive at a point where it actually becomes attieke the root goes through an extensive preparation process that involves being ground, dried and soaked in water multiple times.

Once that process is complete and the attieke is cooked, it looks something like this.
And I must say it is delightful!


Here's Cody doing what he informed me was the 'woman's work', breaking up the attieke to cook. I offered to do it but he doesn't trust me to prepare it yet.


Then you steam it.


Once it is steamed then you season it with chicken bullion, add tomatoes, onions and your choice of fish and enjoy!

Oh, and the best part, no silverware. Yes, you eat it with your hands. You grab a handful of everything squish it together and pop it in your mouth.


Squishing....


and eating our delightful dinner.





I think Cody also had it for breakfast the next morning.


3 comments:

Amberly said...

denten still says I don't get the italian pasta sauces just right that he learned on his mission... I'm ok with that sometimes, I like that he'll do the cooking! wish we were closer and we could swap meals!

kimmalee said...

I'm so glad we marry these well-traveled, cultured men who can introduce us to such fun foods!

Unknown said...

HI,

You like attiéké, you want to eat authentik as it's made by rural women in Ivory Coast ? Taste and feel the difference with Attiéké d'Or on http://www.attiekedor.com