Saturday, February 5, 2011

Just the 2 of us

A couple days after Cody came home from working in North Dakota. We decided to have a little get away. We called it our valentines/last 2 anniversaries get away. I don't think we have been on vacation alone together since before the girls were born so it was a nice little time to relax and reconnect. We decided to head to St. George to look for some sun and warmer weather. The idea was perfect but mother nature decided to hit our destination with a below freezing cold front. So our first couple days we watched movies, played games and Cody was a trooper and wandered the outlet malls and my other favorite shopping destinations. Thursday it warmed up so we spent the majority of the day exploring Snow Canyon.

There are two trails as you enter the park that are closed during the spring and summer months due to the risk of flash flooding but being February it was open. We planned to hike in to the arch at the first area but of course there was this trail that jotted off called the 'Scout Cave' trail. If any of you know my hubby that trail was just calling his name, waiting to be discovered. So off we went. All the hiking was on pretty level ground so it was really pleasant and so beautiful to see the chunky black lava flows contrasting against the smooth red rock.

After a while, a long while, we reached the scout caves. (We later discovered that we traveled about 5 1/2 miles on that hike) They were pretty neat and the view was beautiful.





After our detour to the scout caves, we figured we better finish our original hike to Johnson's arch. You can't really see the arch in the picture but it really is there.


Our next little hike brought us to a slot canyon that was really pretty. I am so amazed by these canyons; how they are formed by water and wind.

Here's what a big nerd I am, I looked at the pattern on the wall and my first thought was 'Hm, that looks like a cross section of bone.' Totally nerdy.




We also stopped in an area that had pioneer names written high on the sandstone walls. The were written with axle grease from their wagons and dated back to about 1881.



Then we went hiking into some lava caves. Cody had been here before with his family so we came prepared with flashlights and headlamps. It was a very interesting experience. I don't consider myself a claustrophobic person but I think I might be a little more than I thought. I had a really uneasy feeling as we went deeper and deeper into the different 'rooms'. It is pretty crazy how being surrounded by darkness can mess with your senses.




I would most definitely do it again, especially now that I've done it once and know what to expect.


The entrance/exit

I looked at the hole and was not so sure I was going to make it.


We frequented this little piece of heaven every single morning!

The Bear Paw Cafe is an absolute delight and a must for any trip to St. George. Cody was a little disappointed one morning when his chocolate chip pancakes arrived he took a big bite and discovered that they use corn meal in their pancake batter. I thought they were quite enjoyable, but I adore cornbread so there ya go.

It was so great to be able to spend so much one on one time together. To have long conversations about everything as well as sit in silence and just be together. It was just what I needed after a long January. Thanks Coco! I love you!

7 comments:

Trish Griffee said...

Aren't get a ways the best. We haven't gone in 3 years, but they really do wonders. I'm slightly jealous you ate at bear paw:)

kimmalee said...

That looks wonderful! You guys so needed a nice getaway. Those hikes look beautiful. I'm so glad you guys got a little vacay.

Aunt Debi said...

I'm glad the last day turned warmer. I still think we need a beach for about 2 weeks.

Mallory said...

that weather looks lovely. I'm glad you guys got to do something fun outside and that you got a nice little vaca together. Love you guys!

Katelyn & Wade said...

I'm glad you have your hubs back. A weekend away sounds like a dream.

Katelyn & Wade said...

I'm glad you have your hubs back. A weekend away sounds like a dream.

kimmalee said...

So...maybe I spend too much time online. Tate climbed in my lap just now and said "I want to see Aubry in a cave"