Thursday, June 6, 2013

Memorial Day

 As memorial day approached this year I felt like I needed to do a little better job about explaining what and why we celebrate that day. As I thought of how to approach it I realized that for little minds it is probably a hard holiday to understand. They thankfully, have not had to know much of death or loss and have been protected from the fear of war. As I talked with them I tried to focus on celebrating the love we have for our family members that are now in heaven as well as being thankful for the soldiers that have protected us. I tried to keep it simple and it seemed, at least to me, to bring a little more meaning to our visits. Of course the highlight of the event for the girls was helping water any and all the flowers that they could. Pleasant Grove City had also placed an American Flag next to the graves of former servicemen and women. It was sweet to listen to Mya point out "He was a soldier" as we passed.
 We had a wonderful visit with my grandparents and Mya was very excited to learn that Great-Grandpa was a soldier. He even had a picture of himself in uniform that he got out to show her. I loved that it is displayed in a frame with my Grandma, his sweetheart, next to him. In the car my said..."I just love him!" "Who?" I asked. "Great Grandpa, he was a soldier and I love him!"
Cody's grandparents are buried in Idaho so we have never visited their graves. But that is something I would love to do, to teach the girls more about their extended families. Nana's father was also a soldier in WWII and I would love to have a picture of him as well and know his story.
And what's Memorial Day without a good BBQ? And my dad smokes some heavenly BBQ! His brisket is melt in your mouth delicious! I love to be there when he slices it because then we get to pick off all the ugly burnt ends. These crispy pieces are delicious and you can't take just one, they just keep getting in your mouth! As you can see after a long day full of fun, all it takes is a little snuggle with grandpa on the hammock for little tired eyes to close.

No comments: