Sunday, March 29, 2009

Back in the Day

The other night at work someone had this article, (www.nursecare.com) and I was amazed at the difference between the practice of nursing then and now.

Nurse's Duties in 1887


The following job description was given to floor nurses by a hospital in 1887:
In addition to caring for your 50 patients, each nurse will follow these regulations:


1~ Daily sweep and mop the floors of your ward, dust the patient's furniture and window sills.


2~ Maintain an even temperature in your ward by bringing in a scuttle of coal for the day's business.


3~ Light is important to observe the patient's condition. Therefore, each day fill kerosene lamps, clean chimneys and trim wicks. Wash the windows once a week.


4~ The nurse's notes are important in aiding the physician's work. Make your pens carefully; you may whittle nibs to your individual taste.


5~ Each nurse on day duty will report every day at 7 a.m. and leave at 8 p.m. except on the Sabbath on which day you will be off from 12 noon to 2 p.m.


6~ Graduate nurses in good standing with the director of nurses will be given an evening off each week for courting purposes or two evenings a week if you go regularly to church.


7~ Each nurse should lay aside from each pay day a goodly sum of her earnings for her benefits during her declining years so that she will not become a burden. For example, if you earn $30 a month you should set aside $15.


8~ Any nurse who smokes, uses liquor in any form, gets her hair done at a beauty shop, or frequents dance halls will give the director of nurses good reason to suspect her worth, intentions and integrity.


9~ The nurse who performs her labors and serves her patients and doctors without fault for five years will be given an increase of five cents a day, providing there are no hospital debts outstanding.


I don't think I would have made the cut, I get my hair done to often.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

No thanks!!!

Marcie said...

I wonder what the physical therapists duties would have been! P.T. was also started by women during world war one. I definately wouldn't have made it either! They would have questioned more than my integrity! Think of the reaction if you asked a therapist or nurse to wash the windows and floors! LOL

kimmalee said...

wowsers. That was really interesting!

The Adcocks said...

I too would be hosed, but not for getting my hair done (obviously) but for neglecting to bring a scuttle of coal or whittle my nibs incorrectly.

RaKell said...

That is awesome Aubrey! I would have never made it, I agree with you I get my hair done too oftern. Robyn's salon is my favorite place! I like being the "banker" Nurse!

lramey said...

that's hilarious. you naughty lil hair doer you!

Morgan Family said...

Wow! That doesn't sound very fun to me. I don't think I would have made the cut either. I am sure glad the times have changed. :)