Friday, August 30, 2013

First Day of School!

Kindergarten!
My sweet, sassy, loving, busy little girl went to Kindergarten today! What is it about walking up to that giant school holding a tiny little hand that triggers so many emotions and worries. Will she be safe? Will she have friends? Will they be good friends? Will the other kids be kind to her? Will she excel in her school work? Will she struggle? How much more should I have done to get her ready? Have I failed her by not pushing her harder? So many worries running through my mind as we got ready for that big first day.

Thank heaven she was excited about it all or I may not have been able to hold it together. Cody, although he doesn't always express what he's feeling was worried about some of the same things. And as he gave her a father's blessing, he blessed her with success in many of the same things I was worrying about. I hope and pray that I will be able to be inspired to know how best to help, encourage and guide her through this new school adventure.
Little Miss Wiggles just couldn't keep still as I forced her to take the official first day pictures.

Showing off her 'All About Me' poster. She was more opinionated about how we arranged things on her poster than I had anticipated. I tried to overlap them to make it look all artsy but that really was not her favorite. I tried to get her to put on some more things to fill up the poster but this was how she wanted it to be.  It turned out cute,  and as you can tell she was pretty proud. She shared a picture of our family, Figaro the cat. Her favorite book: Fancy Nancy. Favorite Food: Crab legs. Her favorite toys and shows: Cars and My Little Pony. She also put of picture of her going fishing with her Dad.

As I dropped her off she gave me a giant squeeze, assured me that she wasn't scared. Tears on the verge of falling I took her hand and we headed to the playground to line up and wait for her teacher. It was a bustle of other children, younger siblings and parents snapping pictures. Some with the same anxious face I'm sure I was wearing. I hugged her one more time and walked away as the bell rang.
A few hours later, when I picked her up she was still smiling. She was thrilled to report that it was 'Totally Awesome!'

1 comment:

Debi said...

Mya is a wonderful little girl and will make friends easily. She is so kind and wouldn't even think of being anything but a great friend. You are a wonderful Mom Aubry!