Friday, December 24, 2010

The Gom-Boo

Gom-Boo ( noun: Sickness. To feel yucky. We've had the gom-boo at our house.)


We have been doing a lot of resting at our house the past few days. It started Saturday night around midnight. Mya woke up gasping and wheezing. She had been totally fine when we put her to bed and now she was breathing super fast and retracting (breathing so hard that the skin was sucking back up between and under her ribs) She was upset because she couldn't breathe and that was making it worse. I was having an internal conflict between emotional mom and nurse mom. Nurse mom was trying to assess the situation, listen to her lungs with a stethoscope and all the while emotional mom is screaming 'holy crap what is going on with my baby!!'

So after a few minutes emotional mom and nurse mom compromised and took her into see the ladies on the L&D unit. (There were no patients at the time, so no risk of contaminating new mommies or babies) I sort of thought she might have croup, but I had never heard what it sounded like or had any experience with it. So I just wanted to make sure everything was alright. We tried to monitor her oxygen saturation but she wouldn't hold still long enough; she was still pretty livid about not feeling well. Her respiratory rate had slowed a little after we sat there a while and she calmed down. I was really lucky and one our respiratory therapist buddies came down and gave her a listen. He confirmed our suspicions of croup and told me to bundle up and spend some time outside. It was amazing how quickly those therapy sessions on the balcony helped so we could all go back to sleep. A few days later, all is well and all we are left with are some yucky cold symptoms.


A few days later the gom-boo visited miss Sadie; fever, cough, runny nose, vomiting, the whole nine yards. She and I spent a couple nights watching a lot of food network. One night I was so exhausted I lay her between Cody and I in bed and we all finally fell asleep, Sadie with one hand on each of us. It was so sweet, she just need some lovin'. It was so sad to hold her limp little body and see her little face when she would look at you with eyes that asked 'What's happening to me mommy? I don't like this.' She is still not one hundred percent but at least she is smiling and keeping food down (heaven forbid we loose any cheek mass)

(34 Weeks Old)


So thank you gom-boo for visiting our house. I appreciate you helping build some immunities in my children and that I now know what the croup sounds like but feel free to post pone your next visit for as long as you like.

4 comments:

AdCam said...

I too have had a visit from him and may I say I would never wish it on anyone. Especially your sweet little angels. We love you and miss you. Have a very merry chrsitmas!

Aunt Debi said...

It is pitiful to hear Sadie whimper when we hold her but i love the holding. She is so sweet! Poor little thing.

Katie said...

Wow, that's pretty unnerving to see your kids so sick like that. I'm glad everyone is on the mend!

Wilson Family said...

Oh gosh...we have been through this before many time and it is soooo sad and sooooo scary...I am sorry you had to experince it. I am also glad that everyone is doing better