Thursday, August 20, 2015

Arrival Story - Sienna



2 months later I'm looking back at this day and trying to remember how things all went down. It's clear and fuzzy all at the same time. My doctors wanted me delivered at 37 weeks because of my elevated blood pressure and some abnormal labs that I had at about 31 weeks. I had become a regular at the hospital for weekly lab draws, ultrasounds and non stress tests. Thankfully things remained within my normal and didn't get any worse so that this little missy got all the cook time she could. We scheduled our induction day for 37 weeks and 2 days. That gave us the chance to see Mya off to her first day of school and as silly as this sounds all our kids are born on a Thursday so we figured why not keep the pattern going. It was odd to be the one getting called about my induction the night before. I'm usually the one doing the calling. Both the nurse calling and I had a good laugh as she rattled off the instructions that we both have memorized. 
August 20th arrived. Grams came over to hang out with the kiddo's and Cody and I headed to the hospital around 10:30am. People ask me if it's uncomfortable to deliver where I work. Having yourself so vulnerable and exposed in front of people you know.  I honestly wouldn't want to deliver anywhere else. They are such amazing women and dear friends. Many people bring a large support group with them to their deliveries, mine just happen to be the medical professionals taking care of me. Michelle was my nurse that day and she was so great! There was never any question. I knew the day was going to go well when she nailed my IV on the first try. The last two times I've needed IV's have been multiple poke situations. They strapped on the external monitors so we could listen to little miss and watch my contraction pattern. Dr. Lamoreaux arrived around 11 to break my water. I tent to make A LOT of water, not a medically concerning amount but enough that I flooded the bed and had to change all the linens and my gown. Michelle and I just laughed at one another as I apologized over and over for the mess while continuing to leak all over the floor and bed. Well, we finally got the fluid situation under control and all the while we had been slowing increasing the Pitocin. I am thankful that this drug does what it needs to do for me slowly, it doesn't hit me super fast like it does some ladies. It gives me a little warm up time. When I got there I was only dilated to maybe 2cm. Cody and I were planning on a long day and night. Especially after how long my labor was with Hayze. I got my epidural a couple hours in. I won't lie that I was a little worried about who would be there to place my anesthesia. That's one of the perks/downfalls to being in the know. But I was so lucky that my two top picks were there that day so I knew I was in good hands. The epidural placement went super smoothly and I was in the land of the numb quickly. After my epidural I was 3cm. I don't remember there being too much concern with little lady's heart rate, she did a few dips but nothing too out of the ordinary. 5pm rolled around and Tarah, the day shift charge nurse came in to say good bye. I hadn't progressed much further so she suggested that we try the peanut ball. This is a tool we use to help open up women's pelvis when they have an epidural. It looks like a giant peanut, hence the name. Well it did the trick. I'm not kidding, a few minutes later I started feeling cramping so I reached for my epidural button to give myself a little extra. Well things got exciting really quickly. Little Miss Sienna was ready to come. I dilated so quickly that my epidural couldn't keep up. I have an entirely new respect for those mama's who can do that without an epidural. The intense pressure was much more than I had ever imagined. I squeezed Cody's hand so tight, tears ran down my cheeks as I tried to breathe my way through each contraction while we waited for the doctor to arrive. He was at another hospital at the point of the mountain with another patient since I had been progressing so slowly. Suprise! Tarah and Michelle were doing great helping me through each contraction but apparently hadn't called anesthesia to come give me some extra medication. After a little bit of waiting, Cody and I may have reminded them that I wanted to see anesthesia again. Cody was amazing! He was by my side in those intense moments and stroked my hair as cried. I could see in his eyes that this experience was new and kind scary for him but I could also see how much he loved me.  Anesthesia arrived and gave me a nice dose of medication that took all that pain away and then about 10 or 15 minutes later Dr. Lamoreaux arrived. At 6:29pm Sienna was placed on my chest. She looked just like one of our babies.  Like her other siblings, except Sadie, she didn't want to breathe. Cody looked at the nurses and said, 'You need to take her.' It took her a few minutes, and a some extra hands, to turn around and decide to perk up. I think they gave her a little bit of oxygen to get her going. Thankfully that was all she needed and soon she was back snuggled in with me.
I see birth for my job, but I can honestly say that it is a miracle every time. I know that there is divine hands that watch over mother and child as these sweet little people enter into this world. I am so thankful for our sweet little Sienna and that she arrived to our family safely.


No comments: