Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I'm at War!

My house has been invaded! Invaded by sneaky, nasty, buzzing, bug eyed, house flies! They are everywhere and it is driving me absolutely insane! I'm pretty sure these sneaky little beasts concealed themselves in their eggs on the pretty little wild flowers that my sweet little ladies picked for me the other day. Then once they arrived inside they launched a full scale invasion. There has to have been close to 100 over the past 4 days. I happened to have some of those awesome and totally decorative yellow, sticky fly strips left over from the fruit fly invasion of 2011. So I am looking delightfully upper class with them hanging in my downstairs window and near my kitchen.  They have served me well and are covered with fatalities. I went to 3 different stores looking for fly swatter...Target, Walmart and a dollar store.  They all failed me. In hind sight I probably should have gone to IFA or Cal Ranch first. I have been forced to be creative in my weapon choice. I started with the ikea catalog which was fine but to bulky. Then I discovered a fine piece of mail that was just the right weight and it has been fantastic.
I feel like after a few days the battle is finally swinging in my direction. There is something about their presence that makes me feel so yucky. I have almost emptied a Costco size Clorox wipes tub wiping down all the surfaces in my house multiple times a day. It has also forced me to become utterly OCD about having no dishes in my sink, I keep my daily cup of ice water safely hidden in my fridge to protect it from the little nasty beasts.
I'm also convinced that sleeping with flies in your house is an ancient form of torture. The noise, their landing on you, so disgusting! I felt terrible the other night, when Sadie was fussing in her bed because the flies kept landing on her nose. (This was after hours of swatting) I managed to get the 3 culprits out of the room and close the door and that made it a better night.
Sorry if you are disgusted and never want to come near my house again. The battle continues and I will be the victor!

Post Script~ Allred's Ace Hardware wins the gold star for having a wide array of swatters to choose from.

7 comments:

Debi said...

We have extra fly swatters. I didn't know you needed one. I hope they die out soon. I agree, the buzzing at night is the worst.

Leslie Jacobs said...

Have you heard of this : http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/zoology/insects-arachnids/water-bags-repel-flies.htm

It might help keep flies away from certain areas of your house until you get the situation under control. Might be worth a try! :) Good luck!

Jenn said...

Oh man! We have had maybe four very evasive flies buzzing about our place this week. Just the four were driving me nuts! I say get your ladies a shatter and let them have at it. Good luck!

Jenn said...

A swatter....bless that auto-correct.

kimmalee said...

dear me, I can't imagine how insane that would be. I think i'd lose my mind with all the night-time buzzing. Poor little Sadie...and the rest of you too. I hope they all die soon. Very very soon.

Glenn Makechnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glenn Makechnie said...

You could try hanging clear bags full of water around your house. That seems to work for the Bolivians (or at least the CLAIM it works... I think it is apostasy.)